Well, I had a bit of a scare last week; we woke up on Thursday morning to find one of my dogs, Lily, had gone completely blind overnight. She couldn’t see a thing. This was 7.30am and I decided to take her straight down to the vets, which opened at 8. Meanwhile, I searched online for sudden blindness in dogs and ivermectin horse wormer came out as one of the most common causes. Uh-oh, I’d wormed the horses the day before. We rarely worm our horses, working on wormcounts by westgate labs, but our old pony, poppy, has been trying to shake off lice all winter as her immune system isn’t that strong any more. We’ve tried everything natural but they kept coming back and now the rest of the herd had started itching too so we decided just to worm the lot and get rid of them for the summer.
The dogs were inside when I was worming as I was aware of the risks, but one of the horses must have dropped a little bit when I wasn’t looking. Lily, who eats anything and everything, must have found it. Anyway, we found the cause but could the vets help? Unfortunately not, as it had already been ingested. They told me that blindness was the first symptom and could lead to muscle tremors, coma and death. Thursday was not a relaxing day!
We called everyone we knew (thanks for all your help), put her on homeopathy, charcoal, high levels of vitamin c and fluids and kept her in a dark room to prevent permanent damage to the eyes by bright light. I gave her regular Equine touch balances and, apart from feeling a bit vulnerable and sorry for herself, she didn’t get any worse.
The next evening, she started to improve, her sight coming back in short bursts and she seemed to have fully regained it the next day, although she was exhausted. By day 4, Lily was back to her normal, bouncy, troublesome self and, as my boyfriend and I were searching the village for her because she’d escaped from the garden, we decided that although we were very glad she’d made a full recovery she wasn’t nearly as much trouble when she couldn’t see ( she was wonderfully oblivious of gaps in the hedge, next door’s cat and rabbits across the road)!